Thursday, December 4, 2014

Being a Referee

For the past 3 weeks I've been a referee for the games the Girls Basketball team have every Friday. The games are scheduled at 3:30 and are against local schools. Being a referee is definitely a new skill for me. I have refereed a few games in the past and since i've played basketball for about 4 years i feel that i was quite accustomed to it. The perspective of the game however is quite different from being a player to being a referee. Referees need to be more unbiased in calls and need to look at each call with a calm, focused mind. I'm also dealing with a issue of ethics. As I am refereeing Gecko games, I am quite biased towards my team. However as a referee I need to be objective as it is my responsibility to officiate the game with the utmost level of fairness. Being a biased ref would not only be unfair to the local teams but would also be a show of disrespect to the home Geckos.

No comments:

Post a Comment