Monday, April 20, 2015

Final CAS Reflection

Its been an eventful, action-packed and reward-full 2 years of CAS in the Diploma Program. I've been apart of multiple programs, sports tournaments, service activities, fundraisers and productions. Every single one being a new learning experience for me and has pushed me to new areas, well out of my comfort zone.

Here is a list of things I've been apart of;

SAISA Boys Basketball and Volleyball Tournaments (2013-2015) Held in Dhaka, Chennai, Nepal  and Colombo. 

Stage Manager for the Drama Production. 

Event Crew for SAISA Badminton (2014) Held in Colombo. 

Treasurer for the Student Government. 

Mother Tongue Service Project.

Gecko Inc. 

Being a Referee

Coach of the Development Girls Basketball Team.

Being a Judge on Gecko Factor.

Everything listed above has been closely linked to the following outcomes,

Increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth

Sports has been the key area for thing outcome. SAISA in particular has made me aware of the areas i'm strong in and the areas I am not so strong in. Through perseverance and constant attempts I have pushed myself further in athleticism and skill and I've developed skills in mental stability and commitment.

Undertaken new challenges

Being a stage manager, Being a referee, a judge, a coach, teaching kids and being a member of student government have all been examples of new challenges that I've undertaken this year. These are things that I never thought I would do and I feel that these are experiences that I will use in the future as either a source of inspiration or just something to look back and laugh about.

Planned and initiated activities

Stage manager, Fundraisers, Oscars, Event crew and service projects (MT and Gecko Inc) have contributed to this outcome. I've grown immensely in my organization and planning skills. Organizing in Event crew was one of the most tantalizing tasks of the year for me and the amount of skill I have acquired from this experience is unmatched.

Worked collaboratively with others

SAISA, Coaching, Treasurer(SGA), Fundraiser and Event crew have all required me to work with peers and superiors in getting tasks done. Collaboration in a valuable skill in today's society and i'm glad i had a chance to acquire it. 


Shown perseverance and commitment in their activities

Sports again is a key focus here. I've gone through multiple injures that have ranged from weeks to months. Staying fit and picking myself up is something i'm sure i'll have to do in college and for the rest of my life.

Engaged with issues of global importance

In my 2 years of CAS this is the once learning outcome i feel i did not address or complete well enough. The mother tongue service project and being a referee (Ethics) are the closest I've come to being engaged with an issue of global importance

Considered the ethical implications of their actions

Ethics are a factor in almost all our daily activities and it ranges. Being a referee, a judge, a coach, a stage manager, a athletic and a treasurer has placed me in multiple ethical situations(Big and small). I've dealt with these situations and I expect to be in many more along the line. 

Developed new skills

The Kevin Fernando of 2 years ago would be absolutely unmatched to the person who is currently writing this final CAS reflection post. Skills; academic skills, athletic skills, social skills, writing skills and organizational skills. I've acquired all these skills through the Diploma CAS Program, and what initially seemed like a chore has evolved into a lifestyle.


Thanks,

Kevin Fernando

No comments:

Post a Comment